Saturday, August 30, 2008

If Only I Had Something to Blog About...

I can think of about four or five times the past couple of days that I've thought, "Aha! This will be great to blog about!" And, as the title of this post intimates, I have nothing. Nada. Zilch. So here are some nothings I can think of while sitting at my kitchen table with hair that must be washed, dried and styled by 6:30 (it's 4:50 p.m. right now and, if you know my hair personally, it takes some time):

1. Hmmm...that makes me think of this little known fact about me. I have had the same hair since I was 2 (with the exception of the processes put on it to make it still look like it did when I was two...capisce?). I had thick, jet black hair as a baby that kept growing and thickening and growing and thickening. It was quite ridiculous. By age 2, it turned blonde. Gradually. I had reverse roots. Blonde roots and black tips. Weird. By age 5, I wore a triangle. The hair on top of my head was close to my scalp while the rest of it pointed out diagonally as it approached my shoulders. At 10, I decided to grow my 80's bangs out. Thank goodness headbands were in. At age 14, after a few short do's, I FINALLY figured out that long looked best on me. And I kept it that way until college with a variation of highlights here and there. After my first semester of college, I cut my hair drastically. It was cute. Kind of stacked in the back. Blonde, of course. Matt and my dad liked it but my mom wasn't so sure. Now that I look back, I don't blame her. Long is best on me.

So how long can you have your hair long? Is there an age-appropriateness to hair? Anyone?

Whew. That was a long "nothing." I'm going to have to limit myself. It's 5:00. Less than an HOUR and a HALF. Cuttin' it close.

2. Reid is digging Elmo. I'm pretty sure he's seen it before but something magical must have happened. All he wants to watch is "Elmo's Wuhruhld." Thus, the earworm has begun: "La, la la la, la, la la la, Elmo's World." Is every Elmo song (minus the theme song) to the tune of "Jingle Bells"?

3. Audrey has a friend that lives behind us. They have a pool. Like everyone else in our neighborhood. Except us. Seriously. EVERYONE. It's Texas. Anyway, Audrey does her own lurking on them. She climbs up to the "clubhouse" part of our playset and spies on them. Poor thing. She looks longingly over the fence and says, "Hey, Ana...what are you doing?" when she can clearly see that Ana is swimming with a friend or her family. Audrey has no qualms about inviting herself over...whenever. Social etiquette is not her forte.

4. One more...5:07 p.m....5:08 p.m.....shoot....5:09 p.m.....get with it. Eh...forget it. I'm done. Happy Labor Day weekend everyone! Go shoot a dove!

10 comments:

The Shaffers said...

I have often wondered about age- appropriate length to hair. As far as I'm concerned I will have long hair for life...join me! I look aweful with short hair. Together we can be granny's with crazy long hair in a bun. Do we still dye it too? Now there's a question for you! Or do we embrace silver? I say Long Silver!!!! Sweet!

Lisa Allen said...

As a hairstylist..I must leave a comment on this one. Back in the day there was a limit to how old you could be with long hair. That is only because everyone went to the "beauty shop" to be rolled and set. At a certain length the hair was too difficult to roll up and "style" like a woman of age should. And inappropriate length meant you were grasping at youth. Even now some of the old schoolers think that any straight style is no "style" at all. That is when the "you have to cut your hair at a respectable age" thingy came in. I had no idea this was going to be such a long comment sry. Any rules involving hair length have gone the way of " no white before Easter and matching your shoes and handbag' rules. It doesn't matter as long as you don't look "witchy", then your hairstylist should intervene, and you should always color and/or highlight...it makes you look and feel younger!

Them Chandlers said...

Thank you, Lisa. That was awesome.

Jaime said...

You must think I'm a freakshow for continually commenting on your blog. I promise I have real friends...

I have maintained the long blonde for my whole life as well. We share similar convictions. I'm 27, and sometimes feel the unspoken pressure to morph into the trendy soccer mom with the Victoria Beckham style wedge. I think your long hair looks great, btw!

Elizabeth said...

I have discovered that middle length hair looks best on me with NO BANGS. How funny that Teagan is so into Cookie Monster, Elmo, and Oscar the Grouch as well...only he isn't singing the theme song to Elmo's World.heehee....Perryn and Audrey sound like twins separated at birth (and born to different mothers) in the fact she invites herself to other people's houses and invites everyone to ours!!! Talks to EVERYONE...doesn't know a stranger!!

Have a great weekend...we will wait for deer season...not so big on dove season...I was always the 'bird dog'. Long story...another time. Love ya!!!

Dawntoya and Adam said...

As someone who could possibly have gotten grounded for white shoes after Labor Day, I have to slightly disagree with Lisa that all those things are out:) BUT I will say that my friends and I have long discussed age appropriate hair and the result is this for me...IF you have it then you can wear it long for as long as you want but as you get old you normally have to choose between the "old lady afro" or hold on to your precious locks as the top thins out but then you become "witchy" indeed. Basically you would be reverting back to the "triangle" if I am indeed envisioning it correctly, but hey, we all usually end where we begin. But for now, STAY LONG!

Nat Pat said...

yes- it's always jingle bells.

Bex said...

i will forever have long hair too...i've had my own nightmares with short hair...

THE FLOYDS said...

you have no clue who I am ... just regularly attend The Village and got this blog from one of my home group gals. To answer your #2 question, yes, they are ALL to jingle bells!! yikes! Also, if it makes you feel any better, my whole life I have had SHORT hair and am really really trying to grow mine out right now..it just doesn't work on me. Looks like I will have to always have a short bob!!

Kelly Widener said...

Well I have to admit that you have no clue who I am either, but we attend the Village and have many friends that know you guys very well. So many times I've come across your blog... Long story short though, I am a 3rd grade teacher at McAuliffe Elementary in Highland Village and Anna is in my class. Last week I was talking to her mother and church came up, so I started talking about the Village. She immediately starting talking about how you guys live behind her and how much they love you guys. She told the exact story you did of how Audrey will stick her head over the fence. So I just had to tell you that they think Audrey is so precious and is so glad Anna and her have become friends... Just thought that you'd like to know how much they adore your family!